Saturday, July 31, 2010

A few summery recipes I've tried recently:

Spinach, carmelized onion, bacon and goat cheese pizza. I pretty much followed the instructions here, although I used a whole grain pizza dough from Whole Foods and added a layer of shredded mozzarella underneath it all. I also carmelized the onions rather than just softening in bacon grease (mmmm). Obviously my version won't be winning any beauty contests but this thing tasted delicious and all the toppings can be made ahead of time. I used to fail miserably at carmelizing onions, until I tried this recipe (another good one). I think red onion is the key.

I'm pretty sure I've posted about this sour cream apple pie before, but it's worth mentioning again. I like it with the pate brisee recipe from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. Yes, there are only two of us in this household, and no, we didn't require any help eating this entire pie.


I've also attempted dill pickles for the first time, although it remains to be seen whether they will turn into poisonous mush or wonderfully crispy spicy pickles. I used this recipe and also found this tutorial to be really helpful since I don't have any fancy canning equipment. I'm also thinking about picking up Canning & Preserving by Ashley English - has anyone tried it out?

And finally, sesame soba noodles with cucumber, bok choy and mixed greens were not camera worthy but were a great way to use up some of our farmer's market veggies.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home