Monday, January 07, 2008

In the works

New pillow for our (beige) couch which sits in front of our (white) walls atop our (cream) carpet. Blah. The only color constraint I had was that our lampshades are green.

Here are the first few strips:


After quilting:


A close up:


The pattern is loosely based on a log cabin pillow, which I originally became interested in when I saw some examples on Lisa Congdon's blog. Designing a nice color palette is more difficult that it seems! In this case the solid red and orange really take over even though I really wanted to highlight the leaf pattern fabric. Next time I'm going to work almost exclusively with patterns and see how that turns out.
Speaking of fabric, the leaf fabric is Liberty of London Tana Lawn from purl soho. I totally love it but I only had a tiny piece (it's expensive)! I buy most of my solid cotton fabrics from equilter.com. Speaking of purl soho, they have an online journal that is a great place for craft ideas, color palettes, etc.
As you can probably see, I took on a rather "freestyle" quilting pattern, partially in an effort to camouflage my crooked sewing! I'm pretty happy with the result so far. I'll try and post a final photo once I'm done.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger sulu-design said...

Lisa's blog has been a huge inspiration to me, too, and I love seeing what you've done with the log cabin quilting. Lovely job!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks! Now I just need to motivate myself to finish it up...

9:02 AM  
Blogger lisa solomon said...

i've always wanted to make a log cabin pillow.... yours looks great.

thanks for coming by my blog and leaving such a kind comment!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home