Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Try this!

So simple and totally delicious:

Carmelized tofu and brussels sprouts from 101 cookbooks

We have tried to achieve optimal tofu consistency and taste in the past, and things just haven't worked out. This time I froze and thawed the tofu, cut it into cubes, and squeezed out most of the water. I cooked it in a non-stick pan with a little hot oil+salt. It sucked up the oil immediately and browned nicely in a few minutes. After that you add garlic (next time I'll use one clove instead of two), toasted chopped pecans (I used cashews) and brown sugar. The sugar carmelizes and creates sweet/savory tofu bliss:



Then I sauteed shredded brussels sprouts in a little more oil and salt, until brown and crispy.

Et voila!


I'm so happy with this that I'm thinking of buying Heidi's cookbook, Super Natural Cooking. Has anyone tried it? Here is another great site that she is involved in.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin and Matt said...

I have made this three times in the past three weeks--LOVE it. Made a decent tofu scramble off the 101 Cookbooks site on Sunday, currently into garam masala. Did you try teh chickpea soup yet?

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum

11:31 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

Im going to attempt this. I love tofu and Brian loves brussel sprouts, so together we could have a winner. If only I was a good cook. Well its worth a try.
-Nina

4:09 PM  
Blogger Chrisi said...

Oh my gosh this looks ridiculously good! You're making me hungry!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home