Sunday, January 21, 2007

Two extremes

I just had the most gluttonous birthday weekend (#31!) in two very different settings. On Friday we had dinner at Savona in Gulph Mills (a suburb of Philly). The food was great, the service was perfect, etc. But it was way overpriced (especially the wine), and we were the youngest couple there by probably 30 years. Kinda stuffy. Afterwards R. and I agreed that "atmosphere" and "french-speaking staff" were factored into the bill. We had a great time, but there are so many other reasonably priced places nearby serving wonderful food minus the attitude! Two of my favorites: Citrus and Django.
Last night we cooked in... fresh fetuccine with mushrooms and tomato cream sauce (note: if you decide to make this one, you can cut way down on the cream and it's still quite good) and an herb salad with toasted walnuts, apples and goat cheese.

My original plan was to make sticky toffee pudding for dessert, but R. talked me out of it since we were both stuffed, it was pretty late already and we had Memoirs of a Geisha to watch (verdict: 3/5 stars).
At one point my brother and sister-in-law stopped by with my gift:

It's a stunned red blood cell and a malaria parasite! Best.gift.ever. I'm not sure I've mentioned it here before but my dissertation research is on malaria. I can't resist pointing out that this is a gametocyte (extracellular sexual stage parasite); the asexual stages are the ones that infect RBCs and are associated with disease. Anyway, these are from Giant Microbes. I think T. brucei is also really realistic looking.

I made another bag in between chopping and stirring last night. This one has a tab instead of a fold, because I forgot to cut out the fold part and was too lazy to do so once I started sewing. I think I like it... what do you guys think?


My friend Karissa has a big exam coming up this week, I think I'll give this to her as a good luck gift.
OK, time to work... hope everyone had a great weekend!


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that stuff is awesome. I love the biological stuffed ... 'animals' doesn't seem quite right.

I like the pouch sans fold too- has a nice personality

sounds like you had a greatasty birthday weekend!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto Elaine, love the bags. And can you believe, I actually know about Giant Microbes--my boss (the one that I Hate--capital H) has an entire collection of diseases. She has them sitting across the top of her couch. She's 44.

7:12 PM  
Blogger nikandmike said...

stuffed diseases sounds like a great business idea to me. its a great thing to pick up at a hospital gift shop.

you know, with a card that says something like, "at least you don't have this one."

i think it could also be a great use in an elementary classroom. if you have a disease animal appear on your desk, that means a) go wash your dirty hands, b) you need to spend some time and attention on that desk, or c) keep your snot factory to yourself, please.

i also like the tab. super cute.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see you have labels for your posts!

12:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I want to know what science geek first came up with the giant microbes idea. They must be pretty popular, a number of people here at Drexel already knew about them.
Dan - I started using the labels, but based on what I've written about so far I suspect most posts will fall into the "what I ate this weekend" category. Not sure how useful it will be!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

then maybe one of your labels should be "what I ate this weekend"

my friend john has a category called "dreams and the supernatural"

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home