Sunday, September 09, 2007

More couch than 5K...

... so far anyway, but I'm definitely improving.


A few weeks ago I started working on this couch to 5K program. The goal is to run 5K (3 miles) in thirty minutes and at this point that goal seems unattainable, but I'm working up to it.


In the past few years I think R. and I have really improved our eating habits: we cook a lot more, eat tons of fruits/veggies, drink lots of H20 and we've pretty much cut out all hydrogenated oils and corn syrup products. We buy a lot of organic food, neither of us drinks soda, we avoid fast food and neither of us is overweight. One thing I do need to watch is refined sugar - I like it in my coffee and I do like my sweets. R. is the same way but is better about eating something fruity (rather than chocolate-y) to satisfy sweet cravings.


It's the exercise department that needs some work. I started making an effort to exercise a long time ago (in high school, maybe 14 years ago?) and sometimes I'm really good about it, sometimes... not so much. In the past 2-3 years I've noticed that my body is starting to age and that I need to re-think my routine - pilates and a walk here and there isn't enough any more.


So back to running. I started couch to 5k once before but didn't stick with it. But for some reason this time I have - I've gone three times per week for four weeks. Something odd happened when I started to get more serious about it - I found that it's addictive! I don't have trouble convincing myself to take a run before school; it's much easier for me than convincing myself to get to the gym for some reason. I prefer to run around my neighborhood and in Fairmount park, but I do run on the treadmill sometimes to check timing and speed.


So for those of you who are more advanced than me, a few questions:


1. How do you avoid knee pain? Mine hurt when I first start out but it seems to go away eventually.
2. How do you carry your music and keys? Do you somehow carry water too?
3. Do you have a playlist that you really like? I'm getting bored with the one I'm currently using.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My knees do the same thing - hurt at first, but once I'm warmed up it goes away (usually). I chalk it up to aging joints...

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried my own "couch to 5K" last year, but didn't get very far. I didn't grow up doing anything involving running, so that may explain my aching knees, lack of stamina, and general apathy. Maybe I'll take out the running shoes again this fall.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

It's pretty new to me also, that's why I'm taking it so slow - I can only run for three minutes without stopping! Sounds like such a short time, but in the moment it feels like an eternity.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home