Friday, September 07, 2007

OK obviously I need to get busy because we don't even have the CSA yet and here are the veggies currently in our kitchen:


Most of this is from my SIL's Mom. I like the fact that we're straddling two seasons: lots of summer tomatoes but also the first appearance of some squash.

One thing the CSA has done for me: the thought of wasting a ripe roma tomato makes me die a little inside. So I wanted to use up some of those and also the two white epplants that you see up above. The solution: polenta stacks with eggplant, tomato and mozzarella. With a few modifications because a) I was hungry and feeling rather lazy and 2) I was the only one eating (R. is here for the weekend).

First I chopped up the eggplant, tossed with salt+pepper+olive oil and put it in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 deg.



I made polenta: boiled 1C H20 + a pinch of salt and added 1/4 C cornmeal. I whisked this until it was thick, about 3 minutes. I patted this into the bottom of a large bread pan (the recipe is for little polenta squares - this is where my laziness started to take over).

I sauteed a garlic clove in olive oil and added 4 seeded, chopped roma tomatoes.
Next: a little salt+ pepper and some balsamic vinegar.
I just heated this for a few minutes until it was warm.

Then I layered the eggplant, some cheese and the tomatoes into my polenta-filled baking dish and threw it in the oven for about 10 minutes.



It turned out pretty well!
Does anyone have any okra recipes that they could share?? I've never made it before.
OK, time to go read and fall asleep early - school this week has been craaaazy. I'm on week four of couch- to- 5K and I want to get up early tomorrow for a jog. (Maybe)More on this endeavor later.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home